The Stroud Five Valleys Walk is an annual charity walk in aid of the Meningitis Trust. Although I don’t normally walk for charity, I decided to enrol in this event.
- To stretch myself. It’s 21 miles and I have never walked as far as that before in a single day.
- To give myself something walking-related to focus on, as the summer turns to autumn and the walking season draws to a close.
- The route is signed and has stops for water, fruit, food, etc. and this will, I hope, enable me to relax and concentrate on the walking.
- Registration was cheap and does not rely on raising a minimum amount for the charity.
- They even supply a bus at regular intervals along the way, to take you back to your starting point if it all gets too much.
It will be a new experience for me, as I usually walk solo. There will be plenty of other people around for this event, and yet I can still walk ‘alone’ and at my own pace.